Thursday, April 19, 2018

Katu, New Caledonia

Finally we are able to connect to internet.  I hope you have missed us as much as we have missed connecting...lol  We have two days in Fiji upcoming and then 4 days at sea.  I will update the past few days and tell you about Fiji and sea days from American Somoa...  

Well we have been incommunicado since we left Sydney. We had 2 sea days aboard the Noordam then 2 stops in New Caledonia. However these ports were gorgeous tropical beaches unmarred by technology. They were both tender ports, ugh! But I managed to go to one of them. It was truly beautiful and unspoiled. We walked along the beach in Kuto and I sampled the local dish, Bougna, made with chicken, sweet potatoes and banana. It was ok, I am not big on cooked bananas... We only bought a few post cards and a soda. There wasn't much for sale and what was, was pricey. Hell, even the Sprite cost $4....
As you can see in the photos, I was able to blue my hair once more in Australia. One lady yesterday suggested I had better stay out of the water, because no one would see me – my hair created a camouflage effect! lol Both of these ports are lovely and a bit like private beach stops. The weather is warm enough – in the 70's – but sort of cloudy and grey... I will be happy tomorrow to hit a more civilized port in Vanuatu with no tender. It is also a new country for us – yea, the trip hasn't been a total rerun...lol
The ship is fine, but configured differently that our previous one. The activities are still somewhat limited, but they are having pickle ball meet ups daily and 2 trivia's/day. I have hooked up with a brilliant Aussie couple who play pub trivia and internet trivia and another couple. We were joined by Phil, who is the guest lecturer and whose are of expertise is geology and history, so we are a powerhouse team now. We got all 17 correct the other day and won flashy drink glasses – they were empty but cute...
We have a pretty good dinner gang consisting of 2 other American couples and 1 Canadian couple. Marty and Lari are from Palos Verdes, California – an area I grew up in. Norm & Lynn are from Seattle and Gord & Lyn are out of Toronto. We have had a few laughs and decent meals so far....makes the evening enjoyable. Have a G'day mates and no worries...

boy on a bench with a "bitch" lol!



cow enjoying a picnic at the beach

ship from the tender boat

Katu from the tender


making bougna

what the hell is bougna?

especially for a friend of ours - ty JD


No comments:

Post a Comment